A car accident can be a stressful and terrifying experience, especially when you’re a cyclist. South Carolina is known for its car accidents. In fact, South Carolina has 62% more fatal car accidents compared to the national average.
Despite this high percentage, not many cyclists are aware of what they should and shouldn’t do after they’ve been hit by a car. The wrong decision could result in financial and medical problems later on.That being said, consider the following steps to take after you’ve been hit with a vehicle while riding your bike.
- Move out of the street if you can.After you’ve been hit by a vehicle, you may find yourself on the pavement in the middle of the road. This can be a dangerous area if there are other drivers. If you haven’t been critically injured, try to make your way out of the street.
- Try to remain calm.It’s understandable to feel outraged and hurt when you’ve been hit by a vehicle. However, your anger and anxiety will make it more difficult to communicate with the driver and the police. Therefore, try to control your breathing and relax as best you can.
- Remain at the scene of the accident.Many cyclists will often yell at the driver who hit them before taking off on their bike in a fury. Don’t do this. Not only will it be more difficult to get the financial and medical help you need but you also need to report the accident to the police. Be sure the driver of the vehicle who hit you also remains at the scene.
- Call and wait for the police.Only you and your car accident lawyer are looking out for your best interests. That being said, it’s essential that you call the police at the scene of the accident and wait for them there. A police report of the accident is essential, especially if you plan to file a personal injury claim. Don’t let your sense of guilt over incriminating the driver keep you from getting the justice you deserve.
- Call a car accident lawyer.Once you’ve talked to the police, collected the driver’s information, and taken photos of the accident it’s important to contact a car accident attorney Columbia SC trusts. A car accident lawyer can help you file a claim and get compensation for your personal injuries should the driver be liable for the accident.
A car accident is a distressing experience you shouldn’t have to go through alone. When you choose to work with a car accident lawyer at the law offices of Best and Flatt, you can expect to be taken care of and understood on a professional level. For more information, contact a car accident attorney at Best and Flatt today for a consultation at (803) 252-1800, today.
THE INFORMATION YOU OBTAIN AT THIS SITE IS NOT, NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE, LEGAL ADVICE. YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN ATTORNEY FOR ADVICE REGARDING YOUR INDIVIDUAL SITUATION. WE INVITE YOU TO CONTACT US AND WELCOME YOUR CALLS, LETTERS AND ELECTRONIC MAIL. CONTACTING US DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION TO US UNTIL AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED.